Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dang, Dana. I feel like a slacker!

My friend Dana has decided to maintain a personal blog. She says in her first post, "It's about time I tried out the idea of my OWN blog. A blog for me, about me, covering whatever. I have several blogs out there, along with some failed attempts...mostly relating to my job and/or teaching others to blog." That is almost me with the exception of the fact that I started the very blog you are reading now for personal expression back in Septemer of 2005. I guess you could call it a failed attempt, though. Afterall, I have only posted to it four times, the last being almost three years ago in July of 2006.

I don't know why I lose interest in blogging. Of course, it reflects my actual experience with journaling in general. I can show you a stack of journals that I started in a gung ho fashion, only to drop them within a few short weeks. If I sit on the bed with a spiral and pencil in my hands, my wife will actually say, "Oh, no. Not another one of your journal binges!" She has no faith in me. Sadly, neither do I.

I love to write. I have notebooks full of poetry and other writings. I even started a novel in the early 80's which will most likely never reach completion. I have an outline for a second. I haven't touched either of them in over two years. I guess I must just be lazy. I mean, really, why do I let my writing efforts peter out? I love to read and do so profusely. I am never not in the process of reading a book. I will read anything, really! I have even been known to go to Half Price Books, grab about five books at random, pay for them, and drive away within ten minutes. Eating is the same way. I love to eat. Hell, I can't get myself to stop that one.

Now, along comes Dana. She is going to make an effort to blog. Just like her, I work in the world of educational technology. I promote blogging to my coworkers. I'm such a fraud that I even hold training sessions on blogging where I tell everyone how wonderful it is. I'm like Ali Larter in Legally Blond. Remember how she sold fitness videos, but she actually had liposuction to keep her body in shape? I am so very very ashamed.

Oh well. There's nothing I can do about the past. All I can do is try to do better. I am going to do my best to make blogging here a habit. I have enough to say. I just need to keep doing it on some kind of regular schedule. I know... Dana, send my a message on Facebook reminding me to get my writing butt in gear!

1 Comments:

At Sun Jun 21, 10:59:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, you are the BEST writer/blogger/sharer, etc. I look forward to your inspiration and witty thoughts about this, that, and/or the other. The whole Legally Blonde thing...perfect. I'm a fraud and together...we will admit it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home