Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 4- St. Louis Roadtrip

June 26, 2016, 8:08 pm, Marshfield, Missouri 

Well this has been a different kind of day. I woke up at around 7:00 am and knew that I wouldn't be getting on the road for awhile. I laid in bed for a while and read. Then, at about 8:00, I decided to try and get some steps in. I didn't anticipate getting many at the next stop. I walked around the RV park about four times before the sun started getting to me. I couldn't believe how hot it was for so early. After last week at Guadalupe River SP, I am starting to think that the heat is getting to me more in my old age. It has never been a problem before. I cover my skin and drink lots of water.

By 9:30, I was getting anxious to be on the road. My only problem was not knowing when I could check in at my next stop. I called and left a message asking when I could. Then, I went ahead and started packing prepping for departure.

Just before 10:00, I got a call telling me to come on up. My site was empty, and I could check in any time I wanted. 

I went ahead and did all of the outdoor things. I raised the stabilizers, disconnected the power, checked the tire pressure, etc. When I went to test the camper lights (something I do every time I'm about to pull the trailer), the driver's side tail light was totally out. I pulled off the cover and checked the bulb. It looked okay to me. I pulled it out and snapped it back in. It still didn't work. Just as I was about to get a new bulb out of the camper, I thought to unplug the power cable from my truck and make sure it was plugged right. That was it. 

I got in the truck and went over my checklist one more time before pulling out. I texted Rachel to tell her I was on my way and hit the road.

I was on Highway 69 for 88 miles, but miraculously, this stretch was smooth as glass. I was happy. It was an easy drive with a few slow downs to pass through some towns.

In one town, I saw a WalMart Supercenter, so I pulled in. I never thought to see what town it was. I needed a new box of wine. I was parked as far from the store as possible and hiked all over the store trying to find the wine/beer. This one was not set up like any I have ever been in. I found the beer and drink mixers, but the wine was missing. I asked a clerk, and he directed me to a liquor store right across the street. I hiked over there, but the store was long gone.

I considered getting gas at the Walmart, but it was pretty crowded, and I was already planning to stop in Vinita. There is a travel plaza there that is built right across the Will Rogers Turnpike. We used to stop there every year on the way to Grandma Jane's and eat at the McDonalds with the boys. Back then, it was called the Vinita Plaza. It was closed for a few years while they totally remodeled it. Now it is the Will Rogers Archway. I was totally blown away by how much nicer it is now. I was only there for gas, but I went up and looked around anyway. They even have a Subway now. That would have been great all those years ago. Everyone knows I pretty much detest McDonalds.

The rest of the trip was about 144 miles on I 44. It was a really nice drive. There were a few times that the traffic got a little heavy, but nothing awful.

When I got to the RV Express 66 in Marshfield, MO, there was nobody in the office. I went ahead and pulled into site 16 and got settled in. They had told me the number when I made my reservation. Because of where the sewer hookup is, I had to pull pretty far forward, meaning I would have to unhitch. Not a biggie. However, when trying to get the camper as close to it as possible, I hit the curb with the truck. I knew I would have trouble backing in to hitch up tomorrow morning, so I decided to pull out and make a new approach. Of course the Colby T decided to take the same curb. I pulled forward as slowly as I could, but it still bounced a bit when it came off the curb. It ripped a whole in the grass, but the trailer wasn't hurt.

Once I had the AC on and the icemaker going, I saw that there was a car in front of the office, so I went and checked in. This place is just a parking lot in the middle of an urban area. It still has showers, a game room, and a pool. They provide the best cable TV lineup I have ever seen at a park (which I won't be taking advantage of) and free wifi. All of that for only $27. That's cheaper than most state parks. I really like this place. It seems like I am the only one here tonight for some reason. The lady at the desk said that was unusual for a summer night.

Since I was off the hitch, I ran to the Walmart and bought my box of wine. Yay! I was about to head back to the park when I realized I should get gas while I didn't have the camper attached. I got it for $1.02 per gallon with a $20 gift card a student gave me for teacher appreciation. It filled the tank. I should be able to get to my next stop tomorrow without gassing up. Once at Babler SP, I'll be off the hitch anyway. No problem getting gas without the trailer.

When I got back from Walmart, a terrific wind started up and the sky was so black it scared me. I went to the office and talked to the lady at the desk and she told me not to worry. Evidently, this is the normal look for storms here. She told me if I got overly concerned during the night, the bathrooms in the building are storm shelters. Goody. When I went to the Colby T, I had trouble with the door in the wind. It remind me of the Wizard of Oz when they are struggling to close the cellar door.

I decided I would rather be at the El Charro Mexican Restaurant before the rain started, so I went on over there. It is about a 75 yard walk. Just after I ordered my jumbo margarita, the sky let loose with and amazing downpour that lasted the whole time I was there. I could see the Colby T from the table. It seemed to be weathering the storm well.

After dinner, I came back to the camper. It has been raining on and off. There is some lightning and thunder occasionally. Weather Bug makes it look like it will be that way throughout the night. But, the winds haven't been back. That's the only thing that frightens me. I am purposefully not thinking about tornad... I won't even think the word.

Anyway, that was day 4. I'm going to relax with my precious box of Merlot and get to bed earlier. I need to dump my tanks and take on fresh water in the morning. Then, I am going to head on up to Babler SP. I am pretty sure I can get in my site early. You pick you sites in MO, and it is not reserved for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home