Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Day 6- St. Louis Road Trip

June 29, 2016, 9:21 AM, Babler State Park

Well, by the time I got home from dropping Rachel off at her and Mildred's house last night, I was just too tired to sit here and write a blog post. So, this is my post for day six of the trip.

I woke up at 8 o'clock ready to go. I got up had a couple cups of coffee, then hit the trails. It was an amazing morning. The weather was in the low 70s. Don't think that prevented humidity on the trails. I was just as soaked his normal by the time I got home. Somehow being cool and sweaty doesn't seem as bad as being hot and sweaty. When I got back to the Colby T, the thermometer was reading 62°. We're talking 1215 in the afternoon. Nice!

I spent most of the afternoon piddling around the camper. The weather was so nice, that I sat at the picnic table for a long time reading. It is so peaceful and quiet in this park. The beautiful shady trees are almost magical.

I decided to find someplace to eat on the way to the airport to picking Rachel up. I used my TapHunter app to find a brewpub. There was one not too far away, so I headed for eight at about 5 o'clock. On the way, I had to go through two roundabouts. On the second one, it didn't have the road I needed marked on the sign. So I ended up driving in the wrong direction. I turned around after about 4 miles, and made it to the right direction. Then, I finally end up at my location, but I'm sitting in front of someone's house. Way to go Siri! I called the restaurant, and they gave me some quit directions, and I was there in a few minutes.

I knew I had about an hour and a half to kill, so I took my time eating a delicious hamburger and drinking a couple of new to me beers. Then, I got on the road and headed for the airport. Believe it or not, that was the most terrifying part of my trip. It really wasn't bad at all. The directions I had were clear, and the traffic was nothing.

Lambert is set up much nicer then San Antonio international. It was easy to find my way to the cell phone lot. Because it was so cool, I was able to open my windows and just relax while I waited for a text from Rachel. Her flight was about half an hour late, and she finally texted me at about 7:45 PM. I went and got her and we headed straight to Mildred's.

On the way, Rachel asked me to stop off at Lion's Choice so she could eat dinner. I wish I had known we were going to do that, I would've waited any new with her. Instead I had a concrete. It was great!

We got to Mildred's, and I sat and talked for a few minutes. Then I got back in the truck and headed to camp. It was a little scary driving through the forest in the dark. I was on high alert for deer. It was hard to see, and every time I turn my brights on, another vehicle would come towards me.

When I finally reached the camper, I was too amped up to go to bed. So I drank a couple glasses of wine, and read for a while. When I started nodding off on my book, I knew it was time to hit the hay.

At about 1:30 AM, something bit me on my thigh. I reached down and squeezed it between my fingers, got out of bed, turn the light on, and put it on a white paper towel. When I investigated, I discovered it was a big black ant. I guess it only pinched me, because there was no staying or redness anywhere. I looked all through my sheets, and all through the camper for any other signs of ants. This one must've come in on my clothes. There were no others. I was happy. If you followed my blogs in the past, you know I've had several ant adventures!

I slept well through the night. I finally woke up at about 7 AM, but I was too stubborn to get out of bed. I must've fallen asleep, because I was awakened by a loud humming noise. At first, I thought it was something going wrong with my camper. I suspected the AC. Then I realized they were mowing the park. There was a guy on a riding mower coming right up to the Colby T. I would love to have that job!

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear from cousin Dave to see when I can take the camper to his house. Until then, I'm going to go ahead and get things packed up and ready.

Unless there's something extra exciting about taking the trailer to Dave's house, I won't be posting again until I start my return trip to Texas on July 5th. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home