Saturday, July 09, 2016

Day 5 of the return leg of the St. Louis Road trip

7:18 PM, July 9th, 2016, Buescher State Park

This has been a very different kind of day. It started out normally. I got up at 7:00, drank coffee at the picnic table, packed everything up and went to the dumping station at about 8:15. By 8:45, I was on the road.

I got gas in Fairfield. I had just enough to get to Beuscher, but I don't like to get below half a tank when traveling. Sometimes, the wind or other conditions change the amount of fuel I burn when towing. It's always safer to get gas when I can.

Yesterday, my friend Janet asked me where Fairfield Lake Sp was. I had to honestly answer that I didn't know. I went through Tyler and headed south, but I changed roads so many times, I really had no idea where I ended up. I am so GPS spoiled that I just wait to be told to turn.

Today was similar, except that I knew my ending point. I switched from road to road, blindly following Siri and hoping it was right. Once, about 20 miles from Smithville, it directed me onto a crappy little road that looked more like a private ranch road. It was only gonna be .5 of a mile, so I went with it. Sure enough, it took me to another highway. Siri knows some serious short cuts!

When I stepped out of the truck to register, I was shocked at the wave of heat that hit me. It was 95* in Smithville, but Weatherbug said it felt like 108*. I felt like I was cooking, so it was probably closer to 350*.

I got checked in, bought a medallion for my walking stick, and headed over to my site. I chose number 10 because the ranger said it had better shade than the others. She must have meant late evening or early morning. Only one side of the trailer had shade. I used the awning to shade the other.

I had to back in to this site. I'm not sure when it happened, but I have actually learned how to do it with no issues. I think the biggest part of it is that I am more comfortable. I take my time and don't feel worried about an audience.

I went into the trailer and turned on the AC and set up the icemaker. I was naively pleased that the temperature inside was only 85. I decided to go for my barbecued mutton in Bastrop. When I returned, I was sure the Colby T would be nice and cool in the 79-81* range- good for a hot Texas summer day.

I called Billy's Pit barbecue to make sure they had mutton. I had gone there once before right after they sold out. I like there other food, but if they didn't have mutton, I was going to wait and try tomorrow. Unfortunately, they were out and wouldn't be getting any in until Wednesday. 

I decided to got to WalMart and get my wine and pork rinds. But when I saw the Buccee's sign, I changed my mind. I was going to go there last, but decided to just do everything there: gas, wine, pork rinds, and something to eat. 

Buccee's was SUPER crowded. I ordered their new cod sandwich and some chile cheese fries. I have been so good on this trip, but mutton disappointment turned me BAD! I even had bacon and cheese added to the already glutinous sandwich. They didn't have my box of wine, so I decided to buy some Coke to mix with my whiskey. I had bought several bottles on sale at Dierburg's in St. Louis at amazing prices. I like to keep a little something in the camper. I usually drink bourbon, whiskey, or scotch strait up when I camp in the winter. Other times, it is Merlot.

When I got to the soda aisle, I had three choices. I could by individual bottles of Mexican Coke, a 3 liter bottle of Coke, or a twelve pack. I chose the twelve pack. I figured I could keep the unused ones in the camper for later, although I'm thinking now that they might explode when the Colby T is parked at Packrats. I got up to the counter to pay and changed my mind. I couldn't see drinking all that sugar. I ran back and switched the Coke out for Coke Zero. Rachel drinks it all the time. She likes it. I figured it would be good enough for mixing with whiskey.

I gathered up my other items, paid for it all, and headed back to Buescher State Park, which I notice I keep alternating the spelling on. It is Buescher not Beuscher. Whatever!

When I first got into the Colby T, I thought it was cool enough. After all, it was certainly cooler than outside. But, instead of cooling down while I was gone, it had gone up to 87* inside. 

I put my boxed fan on my little ice chest so it would hit me more directly. Then I got my rarely used little fan out and set in on the counter, also blowing right on me. I sat there comfortable enough to scarf down all that delicious food. It was heavenly. Those days when you actually allow yourself to eat such wonderful delights guilt free are so rare for me. Not the eating. I'm talking about the guilt.

Keep in mind that I have done nothing to set up the inside of the camper, yet. I simply got my table up, got some ice cold water, and ate my lunch. Stuff was everywhere. But, after stuffing myself with all that food, I was feeling kind of woozy. It was about 3:30 PM, and I couldn't motivate myself to do anything. I just moved the things that are on the bed during travel and took a nap. The food must have helped, because I can't usually sleep in the heat. This time I slept until 5:35 PM!

Even then, I didn't feel like messing with set up. Believe me, we are only talking about 10 to 15 minutes of easy labor putting everything where it is supposed to be. But, NO. I didn't want to do it. I decided that a nice shower might help. I certainly needed one, but had planned on waiting until after I hiked a bit. 

The shower did the trick. When I was finished at 6:00, the camper had dropped to 82*. The promised shade had covered the roof. I prefer lower, but 82* I can live with when I'm just sitting inside doing nothing.

I sat in front of the fan for awhile to make sure I was totally dry from the shower. Then I got my butt in gear and whipped this place into shape. I spent a little while on FaceBook until I lost service. It comes and goes here, also. I have 1 or 2 dots of service in the camper most of the time. Then for no reason (apparent to me) it is just gone. I am not complaining. When Jared and I were here a few years back, we couldn't get enough service outside to do anything but text. We even went to Bastrop to buy a booster device that really doesn't do anything.

I should mention that the camp sites have been totally redone here. I am in the Cozy Circle area. Since our last visit, they have resurfaced everything. The sites are wider and very level. It looks like they might have redone the electric boxes, too. On the short stretch of road into the circle, they have added 5 new back in sites.

I would tell you more about the park, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I have decided not to hike at all today. It is a day of rest and recuperation. I am going to spend the evening drinking a few whiskey and Cokes and listening to the book I was listening to in the truck. It is at an exciting part.

















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home